Cops deny that Clarendon murder accused was beaten
Head of the St Andrew Central Police Division, Senior Superintendent Marlon Nesbeth, has refuted claims that murder accused Rushane Barnett was assaulted while in custody at the Half-Way Tree Police Station.
Barnett, 23, made the claim on Tuesday when he appeared before Justice Leighton Pusey in the Home Circuit Court in downtown Kingston. On Thursday, the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) announced that it has opened an investigation in relation to the allegations made by Barnett, who is accused of last week’s gruesome quintuple murder in Cocoa Piece, Clarendon.
INDECOM’s Commissioner, Hugh Faulkner, said investigators on Wednesday visited the police lock-up where Barnett was preliminarily interviewed. Faulkner said that INDECOM sought medical intervention for the complainant who will also be checked by a custody inspector.
“This investigation was in relation to comments purportedly made by Rushane Barnett to His Lordship the Honourable Mr Justice Leighton Pusey, during the accused man’s first appearance in the Home Circuit Court on Tuesday, June 28, 2022, as published by local media,” stated Faulkner in a press release on Thursday.
However, the claims were dismissed by Nesbeth yesterday, stating that he inspected the accused to verify his claims.
“He was just interviewed and he said this is not so. He reported that a police said he would hit him but this didn’t happen. He further said that what he told the judge was that he has an injury sustained about 10 years ago that bothers him,” Nesbeth told THE WEEKEND STAR. No mark of violence observed. He was interviewed by INDECOM hence it’s surprising that they have not said more on the issue, it being so topical.”
Barnett made headlines after he allegedly murdered 31-year-old Kemesha Wright and her four children. The accused allegedly slashed the throats of the deceased following a domestic dispute.