Alleged Dream Weekend thief collapses in court
A defendant in the Dream Weekend party case collapsed in the Westmoreland Parish Court yesterday, shortly after a scheduled bail hearing was put off until August 16.
Warren Scavella, the defendant in question, was remanded in custody along with his co-accused, Kieron Liscombre and Denvere Robinson, following the deferral of their bail application. The three men are accused of stealing $2 million worth of cellular phones during the recent staging of Dream Weekend.
When the men appeared in court yesterday, Scavella, with blood oozing from his mouth, collapsed and had to be removed from the courtroom.
"Di man did a spit blood from him nose and mouth. Is somebody else's clothes mi have on, mi haffi go home and change," said a cop, whose clothes was soiled by Scavella's blood.
Minutes before the incident, presiding Judge Sean Walters set the bail hearing for the three defendants to August 16 after being told that the men's police records, which had previously been requested, had not been placed on the case files.
Scavella, Liscombre, and Robinson were held and later charged following a police operation on July 31, during which several items were seized. The items included 16 iPhones; two Samsung Galaxy phones; two laptops; 36 R-Sims, which are used to unlock phones; along with $200,000 in cash and PS30.
The items were allegedly stolen from patrons at Dream Weekend, which was held in Negril between July 29 and August 1.